Many animals, including dogs can survive up to 3-5 days without any food intake. If your dog is refusing to eat, it can be possible it is due to some reason that you should definitely pay attention to.
There are different conditions requiring different food intake.
- A dog who is sick or underweight will not live as long as a healthy dog would, without food. Same is the case with a puppy and an old dog.
- A pregnant dog and a dog who has just given birth would require more food and nutrients.
- It is very important to feed your dog at least once a day. Fasting shall not be imposed on a dog without consultation.
Kids and pets, they are all the same. They throw the same tantrums and the most common amongst it being: refusing food.
There can be many reasons behind your pet not accepting meals. The reason can depend and vary due to many things. It can be a slight discomfort or some acute medical reason. It can also be a behavioral trait. This can very well also be an act to make the owner do something of their wish.
It would come to the notice of every owner whose dog doesn’t refuse food.
Refusing food can be a sign leading to many things:-
- Your dog might refuse to eat food or drink water because of some illness of discomfort. It can range from acute gastric issues to chronic kidney problems. It is advised that if you pet has an underlying medical condition and he doesn’t eat well, you should definitely take him to a vet.
- Environmental traits can also affect the amount of food intake and it might happen because of unwanted weather or emotional illness.
- There is also a possibility that your dog has dental issues or he has an ache in his body. This can also make them lose all interest in a meal. Make sure that you notice that this doesn’t occur time and again.
- Your dog can also have reactions to medications or it might trigger some allergy which makes him lose interest in the food.
There are many breeds of dogs in the world and every breed has a different food preference and appetite. It is tricky to generalize a reason for every breed but professional doctors have been able to look thoroughly into and treat the surfacing symptoms.
The most common terms given to these issues are
•Anorexia: refusal of food
•Inappetence: poor appetite or less appetite
If your dog is ill or he is feeling uncomfortable and refusing to eat, it’s not something common. You need to have a close check at his activities or you might probe him to eat.
Some basic tricks can help you encourage your dog to est:-
- You should not overlook your dog’s meals on the basis of how long it can go without eating. Regular encouragement to eat can prove to be beneficial for a dog with eating disorders.
- In case your dog has just gone through some illness and has lost his appetite, it is advised to revive your dog’s diet as soon as possible. Little by little, but uniformly.
- If you are willing to change the supplements in your dog’s meal, it is smart if you do not make it noticeable to your dog and change it gradually. Many dogs might deny eating food just because of the alien taste.
- If it is necessary to keep your dog on a diet because of some illness and your dog is refusing to eat it, consulting a doctor is recommended.